1. By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
2. If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia (note that Facebook is now creeping up – recently announced 300 million users)
3. % of companies using LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees….80%
4. The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females
5. 80% of Twitter usage is outside of Twitter…people update anywhere, anytime…imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
6. Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
7. The #2 largest search engine in the world is YouTube
8. There are over 200,000,000 Blogs
9. 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content
10. 34% of bloggers post opinions about products & brands
11. 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
12. Only 14% trust advertisements
13. Only 18% of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive ROI
14. 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation because we no longer search for the news, the news finds us.
15. In the near future we will no longer search for products and services they will find us via social media