Many people have the misconception that you have to link everywhere in order for people to visit your links and buy your products on the Internet. While this was once the action to take in order to drive in traffic, it is not that way anymore. The Internet has evolved over the years and web browsers are not going to click every link that comes up on a page. Placing links on off-target sites is not going to help you much.
Search engines have evolved as well. Nowadays links and websites are ranked by the quality and the content. Sites that use link farms create web pages that are off-target, or use another useless method to drive in more traffic are penalized by search engines and are generally regarded as spam.
What are the Best Links?
The best links are links that are on-target with the content of the website and “earn merit.” Choosing just any link is not going to help your website.
Read on to discover the top ten tips to getting high-quality links and visitors.
1. Create link bait. Link bait is links that people have to click because they are compelling. For instance, it can be a link that is informative, catchy, controversial, humorous, or interesting. Links that are compelling drive in more traffic and keep the attention of web browsers.
2. Create content browsers can share. There are many different options out there that allow web browsers to share content. For instance, there are widgets, bookmarks, and buttons to name a few. These allow your visitors to spread information across the Internet, including popular social-networking and blog websites.
Keep in mind that not everyone is going to want to “share” your content, but make sure it is an option in case someone does want to share. Get into the social-media world so others can find you. If web browsers have an awareness of you, you have a better chance of driving in more traffic along with your links.
3. Use Social Media to drive in traffic and to spread word of your site. While posting content on your site can bring in some traffic, do not stop there. Also use networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to link post content from your site.
Twitter is a popular social-networking site that can drive in a lot of traffic; however, do not make driving in traffic your only goal when you use networks. Make the effort to become part of the network. Driving in traffic to your website should be an advantage or benefit, not the only reason you join a network. Join a network because you want to, not for the sole purpose of getting more page views or link hits.
When you use sites such as of making a name for yourself on a network. Connect with people using these network sites and do not just connect in a business way. While it is important to use Twitter or LinkedIn for site traffic, do not make it your only goal. Comment on statuses and links that not only relate to your site, but also have nothing to do with your website. You will drive in more traffic and people will check out your site.
4. Network: Build relationships or connection with bloggers. Bloggers are an effective way in which people can gain awareness of your site and bring in site traffic. However, it will take a little effort and social connecting in order to get your name in a blog, particularly one as important as a highly regarded industry blog.
Many people think of bloggers as journalist, but they are not journalists and therefore do not want to be treated like journalists. Do not just pitch to them, interact and read their blog before you drop links.
5. Target sites that are relevant to your site or business. In order to gain rank on search engines, you not only need to link high-quality sites, but also link sites that are useful to your site visitors.
To find the appropriate blogs and sites, start by using search tools such as Google Blog Search and Technorati. Also, try targeting sites and social-media sites that your target market frequent.
6. Donate to charities. Instead of purchasing links on community sites, donate to charities which most often have high-quality domains. In addition, many charity sites will include the links to their donors somewhere on the site.
7. Start a Blog. Blogs can be extremely successful at driving in traffic and getting the word out of your site and business. Bloggers generally link to other blogs and bloggers, rather than e-commerce sites and other websites.
Other bloggers will want to see good quality content and etiquette before they decide to link your blog. Make it a priority to write relevant, informative content rather than just try to sell your site or products.
8. Include respected websites and blogs in your blog posts. Many bloggers or parties will appreciate being quoted or featured. They may return the favor or provide a link to your content.
9. Include a RSS feed to your blog. In order to have a listing in Google Blog Search you need to have a RSS feed. This will help your blog gain rank among the search results and boost blended searches.
An RSS feed also allows your headlines, accompanied with direct links to your site or blog, to be combined with other websites. This allows you to reach a larger audience that would not have been exposed to your content otherwise.
10. Write a guest post. If you don’t have enough bandwidth to start your own blog, write for someone else. Ensure the content you write is informative and helpful to the blog and its content.
I’d appreciate your thoughts on the post.